Coronavirus - Commodores letter to all Members
Published 19:39 on 11 May 2020
To All RYYC Members from The Commodore and Trustees
A Coronavirus update
Following the Government's latest update we are all delighted to see a slow but very conditional easing of the current Lockdown and Restrictions in combatting this very dangerous and largely unknown virus.
The purpose of this update to Members is to explain how the recent announcement affects the RYYC and Sailing from the Harbour and Blyth Park with the knowledge that the 2m separation is still in force and the limitations on the same household participation which are essential to maintain to avoid cross contamination. At this moment of time no formal racing will be conducted.
The Government have not allowed Club Premises to reopen and as such all RYYC premises are CLOSED and Members are not permitted to enter Windsor Crescent or Blyth Park. This is a Government Directive and cannot be challenged. Hopefully in the near future the position will change.
As far as the Harbour sailing is concerned the Harbour is not RYYC premises. It is essential that Members/Boat Owners should carry out their own risk assessment based on the Government Directives plus they must in the first instance and more importantly contact the Bridlington Harbour Commissioners to establish whether or not it is permissible to occupy the Harbour Facilities i.e. the Car Park the Entry Gates to and on the Pontoons etc. and if so what precautions and hygiene facilities have they in place to avoid/reduce the cross contamination.
As far as Blyth Park is concerned the decision from The Commodore and Trustees is that Blyth Park remains closed as any reopening of
Club Premises is against the Government Directives. The Commodore and Trustees appreciate this may be harsh but the reality is that it would be difficult for the Social distancing regulations of the 2m and the same household directive to be achieved in practice and therefore there is still a considerable risk of cross contamination and the RYYC cannot allow this to take place.
Camping at Blyth Park is still not permitted in any form.
We are all hoping that the slow release from Lockdown will not spark off a second Spike in the Coronavirus and further restrictions will be eased in particular for the sport of sailing.
The Commodore and Trustees will continue to review the position on an ongoing basis and will give further updates to Members. But the message still remains Stay Safe and Well as this will Save Lives
The Commodore and Trustees of The Royal Yorkshire Yacht Club
May 11th 2020